The Teche News
The Teche News was founded in 1886 by Albert Bienvenu and George Eastin. It was then known as the Weekly Messenger, and the printer was Albert’s 12-year-old brother, Laizaire E. Bienvenu. Laizaire took over in 1912, and was succeeded by his son, Marcel “Blackie” Bienvenu, in 1935, and Blackie’s son, Henri Clay Bienvenu, took over the reins in 1982. Henri still serves as editor-publisher emeritus, helping to preserve the continuity of three generations. The newspaper’s name was changed to Teche News in 1948. Published on Wednesdays, it serves the entire parish of St. Martin, providing in-depth local news and sports coverage, public notices and affordable advertising reaching St. Martin consumers.